ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: Control unit port load balancing in TS3500

2011-03-19 09:31:58
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: Control unit port load balancing in TS3500
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 14:33:19 +0200
Hi

I'm not sure what you are trying to describe, but the TS3500 has control paths
to the library through one or more drives. Each drive has a 4Gbs FC connection.
Only 1 session from any host can use each drive at a time.

I'm assuming that when u say 4 ports, you mean that you have 4 FC attached
drives? The control path to the library can be through drive 1, or through all
drives, but it's only for fail-over, and I really dont see the reason to
balance the load to the librray control since it's not much data.

The FC connections arent shared between the drives. Each drive has it's own FC
connection

For the drives, there is no point in trying to loadbalance across 4 drives,
since each drive can only service 1 host at a time. You cant "stripe" tape
drives like you do with disks.

I hope that answered your question.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman