ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Does Move Data recover space on virtual volumes?

2011-03-10 15:49:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Does Move Data recover space on virtual volumes?
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:47:25 -0500
My specific problem is with a tape pool that is a target for virtual volumes
created by a remote TSM server. The number of cartridges in use by the pool
goes up and up, at a faster rate than the data growth on the remote server. I
suspect there are many virtual volumes in the target pool with not many active
files left on them.

My understanding is that even one active file in a virtual volume keeps all the
space used by it on a tape from being reclaimed. So far, my only resort seems
to be to do MOVE DATA on virtual volumes with log pct_utilization, using
'reconstruct=yes'. That won't be efficient or fast.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

My thanks to all who have offered suggestions so far,
Keith