ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Does Move Data recover space on virtual volumes?

2011-03-10 11:10:23
Subject: [ADSM-L] Does Move Data recover space on virtual volumes?
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:08:16 -0500
We are running TSM 6.2.2.2 on RHEL 5.

It is my understanding that all the space used by a virtual volume is kept
until every file on it has been expired. Virtual volumes don't shrink in size,
just like physical cartridges, even though their pct_utilization may go down.
Therefore, if some file in a virtual volume never goes inactive, that virtual
volume will live forever and all its space be indefinitely unreclaimable.

Are my starting point, and its consequences correct? If not, please correct my
misunderstanding.

If virtual volumes with expired files don't shrink, does 'move data' on a
virtual volume recover empty space like it does on a physical cartridge?  Or,
does the empty space get moved too?

Move data is not an efficacious solution to this problem. Is there a better one?

With my thanks,
Keith Arbogast
Indiana University