ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Long term archiving solutions for file servers

2011-03-10 10:03:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Long term archiving solutions for file servers
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:02:20 -0500
Shawn,
   We are in the same boat - 30TB of user data on NetApp and required to
keep all daily backups for 7+ years.  NDMP proved to be too much hassle
- it is not incremental it is differential requiring periodic full
backups.  I have 2 TSM servers pretty much dedicated to these backups -
not for the data throughput but for DB size - one is 75G and the other
is 300G (bad form I know, no comments please...)

We have a few virus scanning machines which also perform backups of the
individual CIFS shares - some using snapdiff some not.  Recover of
individual files is very straightforward.  Large scale recovery - i.e.
multiple filesystems or the entire filer is not really an option from
TSM due to RTO limits.  We use a combination of snapshots and mirroring
for these DR type of scenarios (actually practice a full failover and
failback twice a year also - successfully!)

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.