ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Including logs in DB2 backups

2011-02-24 07:43:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Including logs in DB2 backups
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:42:35 +0100
On 23 feb 2011, at 20:16, Thomas Denier wrote:

> Some months ago I reported that some of the DB2 servers at our site were
> retrieving
> archived files during database backups. The TSM server ended up cancelling at
> least
> one and sometimes more than one of our offsite tape reclamation processes to
> make
> tape drives available for the retrieve operations. I got a response from
> Michael
> Garnebode explaining that the fix was to put "exclude logs" in the
> configuration
> files for DB2 backups. When I asked our DBAs to do this I found out that
> including
> the logs in DB2 backups was a deliberate choice which they were very
> reluctant to
> give up. At the time I was willing to settle for a compromise: keep including
> the
> logs but reschedule some DB2 backups so that there was never more than one
> concurrent
> retrieve, and never more than one reclamation process cancelled. The TSM
> workload
> has increased since then, and I would rather not have any reclamation
> processes
> cancelled on a routine basis. My impression is that the "include logs" option
> is
> completely pointless in a TSM environment. Is this correct?

reminding the db2 dba that db2 switched from 'exclude logs' to 'include logs'
by default is only recent might help. I believe DB2 9.5 was the first release
that changed the default behaviour. That and it makes absolutely no sense
retrieving logs from one medium to store them on the exact same medium. It's a
completely useless exercise. The include logs is only useful if you normally
archive the logs to another medium (eg. disk) that that you use for backups
(eg. TSM).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post