ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SQLLiteSpeed backups hanging when moved to TSM server on RHEL5.

2011-02-15 14:24:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] SQLLiteSpeed backups hanging when moved to TSM server on RHEL5.
From: Robert Clark <robert.clark7 AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:21:57 -0800
We're running into a problem when trying to change SQLLiteSpeed backups
clients to point to new TSM servers.

The old TSM servers are RHEL4 (on Intel) running TSM server 5.5.5.0 with
efix for APAR IC71586.  (kernel 2.6.9-89.0.11.ELsmp)

The new TSM servers are RHEL5 (on Intel) running TSM server 5.5.5.0 with
efix for APAR IC71586. (kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5)

We've made sure all the relevant values are set the same on the new
servers, as on the old. (Management classes, disk storage pools, maxnummp,
and everything displayed in "q opt" output on the TSM server.)

The two SQLLiteSpeed clients we've used for testing are:

GENERICSYSTEMNAME1
O/S: 2008
SQL version: - 10.0.4000.0 (2008 SP2)
SQL litespeed version: - 5.0.2.0
TSM Client: 6.1.3.0

GENERICSYSTEMNAME2
O/S: 2003
SQL version: - 9.00.4207.00 (2005 SP3)
SQL litespeed version:- 5.0.2.0
TSM Client: 6.1.3.0

We have gathered client side trace, and it appears to indicate the socket
is being closed:

02/09/2011 15:07:51.192 : commtcp.cpp (2525): ANS1006I TCP/IP write error
on socket = 9300, errno = 10053, reason : An established connection was
aborted by the software in your host machine.

02/09/2011 15:07:51.192 : apisend.cpp (1175):
Contents of verb (0x7) Data, length: 32768:

02/09/2011 15:07:51.192 : commtcp.cpp (2525): ANS1006I TCP/IP write error
on socket = 4294967295, errno = 10038, reason : An operation was attempted

on something that is not a socket.

We have also gathered server side trace, but nothing unusual has been
noted there.

The symptom on the TSM server is that backup session stops making progress
after a few minutes, and ultimately must be canceled to be cleaned up.

We've opened a case with Tivoli support, and are working with the
sysadmins of the TSM server.  We're not making much progress. My hope is
to jog the memory of the list and see if anyone has seen window size or
other stack weirdness with RHEL 5 that is triggered by LiteSpeed backups.

Thanks,
[RC]
U.S. BANCORP made the following annotations
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.