ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Snapdiff backup of vfilers

2011-02-09 12:53:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Snapdiff backup of vfilers
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 12:50:53 -0500
This has to be a marketing effort in order to push the SONAS product.   I
drooled a little bit when i learned it has a built in TSM client and uses
its special sonas grid-search thing to perform the incremental scan.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
02/08/2011 06:16 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Snapdiff backup of vfilers

Thanks Shawn.  Your observations confirm other support information I was
told.  It's really unfortunate that this is not supported.  We are
strongly considering getting an N Series gateway and I was hoping to be
able to do this, but the folks who would be using it are insisting that
they need Multistore and would thus be using mostly vFilers.  So I guess
it's back to NDMP or backing up the slow way via TSM incrementals from a
NAS client.  We're doing Backup Stgpools to an offsite tape library and
I'm concerned what the periodic Full NDMP backups will do to that network
link.

..Paul

At 04:13 PM 2/8/2011, Shawn Drew wrote:
>I tried this a few months ago and it didn't work.  I don't remember the
>error it gave, but when you search on it, it gives an IBM webpage saying
>vfilers are unsupported.   I haven't tried it with the latest client yet,
>but I'm not hopeful.
>

>Regards,
>Shawn
>Shawn Drew
>

>Internet
>psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU
>
>Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>02/07/2011 01:27 PM
>Please respond to
>ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

>ADSM-L
>cc
>
>Subject
>[ADSM-L] Snapdiff backup of vfilers
>

>Has anyone tried using Snapdiff on a vfiler (multistore)?  My
>understanding is that this is not supported.
>

>--
>Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
>Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521
>719 Rhodes Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853-3801    Em: psz1 AT cornell DOT edu
>

>This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
>the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
>please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
>with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or
partial,
>is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
>integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall
(will)
>not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that
certain
>functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas
RCC, Inc.