ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Snapdiff backups of filers - Getting errors

2011-02-06 05:53:19
Subject: [ADSM-L] Snapdiff backups of filers - Getting errors
From: Steven Langdale <steven.langdale AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 10:51:45 +0000
Hello all.

I'm attempting to do snapdiff backups on an N series we have here.

TSM Server: 5.5.3
TSM Client: 6.2.2.0
Wwindows Proxy: 2003 SP2 + pretty recent patches.

Snapdiffs on my 2 test voulmes work perfectly (after having to do a net use
to them as a pre-exec), but larger volumes with much more data are failing
with this (the ?'s are mine):

02/06/2011 09:05:10 ANS1626E An unexpected error was encountered when
processing a TSM operation using a hardware or snapshot function.
   TSM function name : NAHWInterface::naPerformSnapDiff
   TSM function      : Error invoking ONTAP API snapdiff-iter-next: Parsing
error in results: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !

   TSM return code   : 13001
   TSM file          : NAHWInterface.cpp (6777)
02/06/2011 09:05:10 ANS5250E An unexpected error was encountered.
   TSM function name : baPerformSnapDiff
   TSM function      : failed to perform snapdiff
   TSM return code   : 653
   TSM file          : backsnap.cpp (5173)
02/06/2011 09:05:10 ANS2832E Incremental by snapshot difference failed for
\\???????\vol01$. Please see error log for details.
02/06/2011 09:05:12 ANS5283E The operation was unsuccessful.

I've tried both of the testflags that have come up in my hunting about :

TESTFLAG                 SNAPDIFFNAMEFILTEROFF
TESTFLAG                 SNAPDIFFONTAPFAP

But still no joy.  IBM article
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21408335 is saying this is
a NETAPP issue and there is no workaroud but people who are using the
testflags seem to be getting successful backups.

Has anyone actually got this to work reliably?

Many thanks

Steven