ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] copypool-only TSM server on a VM

2011-02-03 10:27:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] copypool-only TSM server on a VM
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:26:20 -0500
Neil and Steve et al;
I appreciate your comments, though I am not the seer that dreamed of this.

The intention behind it could be to share tape drives without using a Library
Manager, and to add TSM servers without buying more hardware.  Our TSM server
databases and boot disk are on the SAN.  I'm confident the TSM/VM servers would
be given the resources they needed.

One reasonable concern for building TSM servers on VM's would be that a
virtualized server is not as stable as a physical server. Vmotion works most of
the time. ESX hosts do crash, and if they lose their HBAs will take all their
guests down with them.

Best wishes,
Keith