ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] copypool-only TSM server on a VM

2011-02-02 16:35:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] copypool-only TSM server on a VM
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:32:20 -0500
Hi Keith

I had a similar idea a while back.  In my case it was about using a
single TSM infrastructure to provide backups to multiple independent
customers.

My idea was to have a vmware box and a standard TSM server image which
would have enough disk to store one night's backup.  The next storage
pool would reside on a big back-end TSM server.  There would be no copy
pools on the front end server, but the back end server would have its
primary pool both deduplicated and backed up with the copypool data sent
offsite.

If there is a TSM configration manager in the mix, then adding a new
customer would be as simple as cloning the standard VMware image and
connecting to the config manager.  With approriate firewall rules in
place you might even get away with open registration.  Other big pluses
are that the customer level TSM servers can use a basic client licence
since there is no direct tape connection, and there is only one set of
offsite tapes to deal with no matter how many customers you have.  The
backend TSM box only has to deal with other TSM servers and so has a
small database.

This was never implemented due to other priorities and the need to
source a box to host the front end VMs. But, I think it could work and
it is similar enough to your idea that it confirms it is a good one.
I'm not sure about dual copypools though.  A landing pad for each VM
migrating daily to a server-to-server primary pool might work better.

I'd be interested to know what you finally decide.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Paraparaumu, New Zealand

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:32:24 -0600, "Huebner,Andy,FORT WORTH,IT"