ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Directory layout for tsm server v6.2 on linux platform

2011-01-26 10:06:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Directory layout for tsm server v6.2 on linux platform
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:56:53 -0500
Hi Gary,
I used the Server Upgrade Guide as a task list, and did the 'Scenario 2: Same
system, network method'.  I took the defaults everywhere except for the
instance name and such as. I did ask Support about the location of the instance
directory, and, if I recall correctly, was told it can be anywhere. For the
sake of posteriority, I followed the example in the table of 'Example commands
for creating the directories', which is on page 136 in the Guide I used. It
shows putting the instance directory under the home directory of the instance
owner. Specifically, ours is here; /home/tsmbl01/tsmbl01, where 'tsmbl01' is
the instance owner user-id.

I had some experiences with the documentation also, but on the whole it is
good. Pay close attention to which user-id you are logged-in as. The Upgrade
Guide has a possible point of confusion related to that, at least for me.
After you create the instance with the db2icrt command there is an instruction
which says:  "Remember: From this point on, use this new user ID when
configuring your Tivoli Storage Manager server....".  But, the extractdb step,
done a few step later, is NOT "configuring your [new] TSM server", so you need
to be logged-in as root when you do that step.

I got TSM Support on the phone more than once during the production upgrade,
and they were extremely responsive and helpful.  Every problem we had was my
fault (typically a typo), not that of the documentation.

TSM Support suggested that we do the insertdb step while running the 6.2.0.0
release, rather than upgrading TSM to 6.2.2.0 and then running the
extractdb/insertdb. That way, there is no question, if a problem occurs,
whether it can be attributed to the extract/intsert process or the version
upgrade.

Even if you constitutionally cannot delete a log, grit your teeth and delete,
or rename, tsmdbmgr.log as you are told to do after changing the API password,
or you will have a problem.

I had to copy dsmserv.dsk from /opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin to
/opt/tivoli/tsm/upgrade/bin.

The permissions on dsmaccnt.log need to be changed to
<instance-owner>.tsmsrvrs, and its location changes to the instance directory,
of course.

There are many setup tasks that can be done in advance, but the insertdb step
is going to take a while. The more hardware you can give it the better.  We
have Dell R810 servers with 16 CPUs @ 2.26 GHz (2 sockets, 8 core each), and
128 GB RAM.

Best wishes,
Keith