ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] What, exactly, is a TSM "file space"?

2011-01-12 07:39:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] What, exactly, is a TSM "file space"?
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:38:28 -0600
On Jan 11, 2011, at 10:10 PM, gizmoprof wrote:

> The documentation suggests that a file space is a "drive" (logical or
> physical), but it leaves "room" for additional meanings.  In TSM terms, what
> is a "file space"?

It's whatever the TSM client considers to be a logical unit to manage.

The well-known TSM clients manage file systems and disk partitions, but there
are also TSM clients that back up databases and mail servers, among other
things. I'm more familiar with the former than the latter; "file space" to a
DB2 client is a database, as it is with Informix and Oracle. For some reason,
SQL Server uses N+1 filespaces for N databases on an SQL server; one for
metadata and one each for database, judging by the filespace names.

Nick