ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DRM and file based copy storage group

2011-01-10 23:49:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DRM and file based copy storage group
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:47:48 +0300
We have Disaster Site with fiber optics links from Head Office (20 miles);
- 2 fiber links (2Gb/s each) are used by IBM DS8100 disk subsystem to perform
Metro Mirroring (PPRC in the past). Metro Mirroring allows copying production
data online from HO to DRS including TSM Server 5.5.4.1 data (database, logs
and configuration files);
- 3rd fiber is used for Ethernet network between HO and DRS (1Gb/s).
I am using remote copies (device class FILE) at DRS FATA disks via NFS mounted
file system. Writing speed is not very high (20MB/s for single copy session),
but it is enough to backup daily portion of data using 2 parallel copy sessions.
Disaster recovery is very simple:
- just start mirrored TSM Server;
- use copy storage pool from the local file system.
Disaster recovery is very fast. We have reduced recovery time from 24 hours
(from tapes) to 4 hours (from disk).
To reduce TSM Server problems during Disaster Site testing (Ethernet link is
down):
- use soft mounted NFS file system;
- postpone remote copies;
- upd stg <copy pool> acc=unavailable;