ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Memory usage issues with "traditional scheduler service" on Windows

2011-01-03 16:30:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Memory usage issues with "traditional scheduler service" on Windows
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:28:39 +0000
>>How many of you "restart the scheduler service periodically to free system
>>resources"?
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University

Ha!
Never have to restart it manually -  it crashes by itself!
On Win2K, frequently.
On Win2K3, not as often.
OTOH, I still tell my customers as standard practice to set the recovery
properties of the TSM Scheduler service so that when (not if) it crashes,
Windows will restart it once automatically.
If you told me there had never been a Windows service, of any kind, that didn't
have a slow memory leak, I would believe it...

I still start my Windows customers out with the scheduler service, if there is
only 1 required, because it is simpler and gives them only 1 log to look at.
But if you have multiple scheduler services, the memory footprint does get
large, and you will probably be better off using the CAD.