ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ULTRIUM4C but not 1.6TB

2010-12-09 12:34:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ULTRIUM4C but not 1.6TB
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:28:49 +0000
I belive the answer to your question, is that it depends on your tape drive
hardware/firmware.
On the old 3480 drives, for example, recompressing already-compressed data
would cause it to expand.

But I thought one of the features of the TS1120's and higher, is that the drive
is smarter and if data starts expanding it stops the compression and writes the
data as is.

So I'm VERY curious to see you are getting those stats on 3592 media.