ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ULTRIUM4C but not 1.6TB

2010-12-09 12:27:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ULTRIUM4C but not 1.6TB
From: Scott McCambly <mccambly AT UNOPSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:26:06 -0500
This is related to a similar question I have been investigating on 3592
media:   Why would you ever get less than the native capacity of a
tape?

Does writing compressed data to tape with hardware compression enabled
result in the data expanding?

I always assumed that the hardware compression mechanism would have
something equivalent to "CompressAlways=NO" and detect already
compressed data in its input buffer, however we backup a number of
already compressed file formats and often see FULL tapes with estimated
capacities from 5 to 20% less than the stated native (uncompressed)
capacity.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

If a LTO4 tape holds more than 800GB compression is on.