ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DB2: SSD vs more RAM

2010-11-22 04:27:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DB2: SSD vs more RAM
From: Henrik Ahlgren <pablo AT SEESTIETO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:25:25 +0200
Or maybe he has a huge amount of DB entries?  If his options are either six SAS
15K or eight SSDs (50GB each), it means his DB is propably in the multi-hundred
gigabyte range. If he just needs the IOPS for smaller DB, then he would not
need 8 SSDs to beat 6 platters, even one or two could be enough. (Just one
Intel X25E does 35K IOPS random 4K read.) I'm not sure how much doubling the
RAM would help with operations such as expiration, DB backup etc. compared to
nice SSD setup.

I'm wondering why so little discussion here on using solid state devices for
TSM databases? Some of you must be doing it, right?

--
Henrik Ahlgren
Seestieto