ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] GE Centricity Cardiology INW backups

2010-11-17 16:34:10
Subject: [ADSM-L] GE Centricity Cardiology INW backups
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:00:27 -0500
I have gotten a request to arrange for TSM backup coverage of a
GE Centricity Cardiology INW system. After reading GE's
documentation I have a number of questions for people who are
already backing up INW systems.

Our INW system runs under Windows 2003. We normally use TSM 5.5.1
client code for this level of Windows, but GE recommends TSM 5.2.2.
What are the pros and cons of accepting GE's recommendation? This
recommendation is accompanied by the puzzling statement that
'Tivoli doe not require a client on the server'. What does GE
mean by this?

The INW system stores report files and waveform files, and has a
MS SQL database containing references to the report and waveform
files. Am I correct in suspecting that a report file or waveform
file will not be updated after it is created, and hence will only
need to be backed up once? The system dumps the MS SQL database
contents to flat files and lets TSM back up the flat files. How
does the size of a database backup compare to the overall disk
space usage?

The instructions for using TSM focus on backing up three folders
on the D drive. Is there any major downside to letting TSM back
up the entire system (as long as we exclude *.ldf and *.mdf
files)?