ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] De-dup ratio's

2010-11-13 04:23:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] De-dup ratio's
From: Amos ADSM <amos.adsm AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:22:55 +0200
Jim,

My DD is Configured as VTL, also my PT is configured as VTL, with
Clariion (Sata Disks), with the PT i managed to reach 150 MBs,
while with th DD (670) i managed to reach 740 MBs ( Read and write),
while in backup i get 450 MBs (From one TSM server, and another 350 MBs
from the second),
and im not using LAN Free Backup.( Most of my backup are with
Etherchannels (for backup and NDMP))

If u want to compare between DD and PT, u need to compare Apple to
Apple, in my case since the PT is 3 Year Old (version 1.2.5),
My Comparison is Apple to a Cherri :-), because the DD faster 4 times
than the PT (DD Use also Sata Disks),
If u want to compare them PT7650 is like the DD880 ( Both are cluster
aware, there Capacity its Huge)
If for example u reach the MAX iops in the DD or the PT, u can add
another one and increase the Throughput,
PT was born as VTL DD was born as Cifs/NFS (With Dedupe), the PT run his
Defrag Process in the Background all the Time, with DD u need to schedule it
and while its running it consumes CPU(Also with the Replication
Process), With PT u can use most of the Disks Vendors, with DD u have
there own disks (because its not Gateway anymore),  and there are a lot
on comparisons issues between them.

But in the Bottom Line the DD Compress Factor Higher that the PT,and
most of my colleagues are working with DD and few with PT,
and until now im very pleased with my DD (Testings) , it serves my 2 TSM
Main Servers(every Weekend i backed up 20 TB), and another DPM Server
(Microsoft, i use it only for the Hiper-V),  and i also create a CIFS
Share to the Veeam Backup for Vmware (although im using VCB with TSM).

If u will need more information i will be pleased to help u

Amos