ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] IBM3592-E06 resp. TS1130

2010-11-05 10:26:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] IBM3592-E06 resp. TS1130
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:25:37 -0400
Observe the TSM documentation, which says:
"Avoid specifying DRIVE when a mixture of drives is used within the same
library."
and
"For optimal performance, do not mix generations of 3592 media in a single
library. Media problems can result when different drive generations are mixed."

> There is backward compatibility to E05 from E06. The new drives can read and
> write the old tapes.

Yes, but you are seeking to achieve specific results, where only specific
definitions will guarantee such results.  Loose definitions can make for
undesirable results, and problems.  You are already having problems telling the
tapes apart.

   Richard Sims