ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Linux ext4 filesystems - is anyone using them for devt=file storage?

2010-10-28 16:09:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] Linux ext4 filesystems - is anyone using them for devt=file storage?
From: "Colwell, William F." <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:08:11 -0400
Hi,

I am running 2 6.1 servers on rhel 5.5.  I am doing a lot of doing
dedup.  All primary storagepools are

devicetype file.  Current I have 10 16TB ext3 filesystems on raid 6
Sata.  All volumes are

scratch allocations.

I have another 96TB ready to go.  I haven't made the filesystems yet.
So my question is if anyone

is using ext4 yet as the filesystem type for TSM storagepools.

>From my initial reading, I think the extent allocation feature would be
very useful.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4

I opened a pmr today to ask if IBM would support servers using ext4, and
they just called back!

They will support servers using ext4 for file storage.  (But not for
client backups yet).

Also, is anyone using ext4 for the database?

Thanks,

Bill Colwell

Draper Lab