ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Need to perform simple restoration test from offsite tape

2010-10-27 06:25:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] Need to perform simple restoration test from offsite tape
From: cc1702004 <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 06:25:27 -0400
Hello,

I'm required to perform data restoration test from some offsite tapes. I have
never done before this but
did some reading from internet.

Below is my understanding :

1) Check offsite tapes into library.

2) Update the status of OFFSITE to readonly. (I'm not sure about this, this
appear as one of the step I
read in an article. I assume that this is to prevent accidental writes to the
offsite tapes).

update vol * wherestgpool=offsitepoolname whereaccess=offsite
access=readonly

3) Update the status on onsite tapes to DESTROYED or UNAVAILABLE. I assume I
can update invidivual volumes/tapes to unavailable

update vol * wherestgpool=onsitepoolname access=DESTROYED or UNAVAILABLE

(The article only mentioned DESTROYED. I saw the UNAVAILABLE option from
the command reference. I think I would use UNAVAILABLE as it sounds less
harmful. I don't know what is the impact if I use
DESTROYED option as we will need to continue to use the onsite tapes after
testing)

4) Restore data.

5) After restoration of data, update the onsite pool to readwrite and update
the offsite pool to readwrite
(This step is not mention in the article I read, I assume this is the step to
normalize things)

Is my understanding correct? Hope someone could help on this.

Thanks

Chan