ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lousy performance on new 6.2.1.1 server with SAN/FILEDEVCLASS storage

2010-10-20 17:51:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lousy performance on new 6.2.1.1 server with SAN/FILEDEVCLASS storage
From: Dave Canan <ddcanan AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:49:21 -0700
Being as our group in IBM is at least partially responsible for having
written parts of the performance and tuning guide, let me make some
clarifications here. I agree that some of this has  not been placed yet into
the Performance and Tuning Guide; we will be doing this hopefully early next
year.

1. There has been a lot of discussion about pre-formatting of disk volumes.
At the latest levels of TSM (I know that 6.1.4.0, and 6.2.0 have this fixed,
but I'm not sure about V5) when using the define volume command with the
numberofvolumes parameter, we do not run multiple threads simultaneously to
format the volumes; they are done one at a time.

2. We need to make a distinction here between disk subsystem cache readahead
and filesystem readahead. It is possible, depending on what kind of
filesystem and disk subsystem you are using, that you could be using one OR
the other OR both Or neither. If you have an intelligent disk subsystem and
are using a "cooked" filesystem for storagepools (for example JFS or JFS2),
you are using both. If you are using an intelligent disk subsystems and raw
logical volumes, you get disk subsystem readahead but not filesystem
readahead. If you are using simple internal disks and "cooked" filesystems,
then you don't have disk subsystem readahead but you do have filesystem
readahead.  Finally, if you are using simple internal disks and raw logical
volumes, you don't get either of them. I know, I know, it's confusing. But
the answer here is "it depends."

3. Actually, we still do have a DIRECTIO parameter, and the default is
dependent on type of OS platform. Do a 'q opt DIR*' command on the tsm
command line; you'll see it. We have removed it from the documentation,
although you can still use it if you want.

4. We use DIO by default on AIX whenever we are talking about "cooked"
filesystems. Like I said above, if you are using cooked filesystems for your
storagepools then you get the benefits of filesystem readahead. So what we
tell customers is that if you use Raw Logical Volumes, you "might" get
faster backup as compared to using "cooked" filesystems because there is no
filesystem overahead, but migration will be slower because you get no
filesystem readahead.

5. I'd rather not open up the discussion again on raw logical volumes vs
cooked filesystems with DIO for performance. Some people say they are
equivalent, some say raw logical volumes are faster. Our tests indicate they
are roughly equivalent.

6. Remember, some of the new enhancements with TSM (such as Active Data
Pools and data deduplication with TSM V6) REQUIRE devclass FILE sequential
storage pools. So if you want to use features like this, you will have
cooked filesystems, and so you will be using DIO.

Dave Canan
TSM Performance - Advanced Technical Support
ddcanan AT us DOT IBM DOT com
Hours 9-5 PST