ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM + VTL and physical tape library

2010-10-15 11:12:32
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM + VTL and physical tape library
From: Capo <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 04:35:24 -0400
Hi all,
I'm involved in a TSM + VTL project but, unfortunately, I'm quite new in TSM
world: please apology me if I make trivial questions:
My customer has currently got 4 TSM instances copying to a small disk pool and
then to an IBM Tape library.
They would like to introduce a VTL in the existing environment to improve
overall performances and give TSM servers a little break.

My questions:

1. TSM catalog is growing too much. Would VTL help them to reduce its size ?
When data are copied offline (I suppose via a copy pool), does the catalog
still keeps track of them?
2. Physical tape generation from Virtual media is really important in this
project: customer would like to keep fresh backups on VTL and old ones on
tape. With other BU applications this would be quite easy but, since TSM has
got a peculiar way to manage files (versions), I am a confused: do you think
that defining the tape library as a copy pool is a good idea? What level of
granularity can I reach with the storage policies and copy pools? Can I
simulate the lifecycle policy of other backup applications ? Can I tell
migrate XX backup to tape after 1 month and remove it from the VTL and stuff
like that ?
3. Any real life experience to share ? The candidates for this project are
Centricstor and DXi 7500 (or the new DXi 8500).

Thanks for your help
Max