ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Frustrated by slowness in TSM 6.2

2010-10-08 13:59:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Frustrated by slowness in TSM 6.2
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 13:57:25 -0400
> I would be suspicious of having the db on XIV. Do you have any FC
> or SAS Disk you could try putting the DB on?  I know XIV has lots
> of CPU & cache, but underneath it all is still SATA. I've heard
> Marketing types rave about how fast XIV is, even with SATA,
> because I/O can be spread across many spindles, but I'm not
> entirely convinced it's as good as 15k FC or SAS.

This is _exactly_ what IBM has not, and seems unwilling, to explain.

Soon after IBM finalized the purchase of XIV, they had a series
of seminars around the country (usa) about the box. This wasn't some
little out of the way seminar . . . Moshe (inventor of the box)
was there and gave much of the presentation.   I attended one - Lets
just say it was strange!!!   They hammered on "high performance", over
and over.  They threw up one graph where they claimed 25k iops at
3ms response time for a "cache miss" workload.  Lets see, cache miss
means having to go to the spindle to do the I/O.  SATA drives come
no where close to this response time.  The workload was either
not cache miss, or, they effectively short-stroked the drive such
that the heads never moved.  When I questioned this claim I
got nowhere - just run-around.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.