ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANR8503E after hours of backing up DB2

2010-10-06 17:33:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANR8503E after hours of backing up DB2
From: Steven Langdale <Steven.Langdale AT CAT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:32:05 +0100
Andy

A couple of questions:

Nothing in the AIX errlog?
Does it ONLY do it on the long running DB2 backup?

Maybe it's worth running something outside of TSM so write to one of these
FS's to see what happens?
As for question 2,  I "think" if you are writing a backup direct to a
volume, and you get a write error, the job fails.  I think I've had this
same behavior myself.

Steven

Andrew Carlson <naclosagc AT GMAIL DOT COM>
06/10/2010 21:36
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] ANR8503E after hours of backing up DB2

Caterpillar: Confidential Green Retain Until: 05/11/2010

Hi Folks.

I am running TSM 6.2.1.1 under AIX 6.1.5.  I am writing data to a Data
Domain DD880 using NFS.

We have a long running DB2 backup that backs up about 7TB.  By the
way, this is a fairly new setup.  Most things are fine, but sometimes
I get:

DATE_TIME: 2010-10-06 11:32:11.000000
  MESSAGE: ANR8503E A failure occurred in writing to volume
/tsmstg/cabdd01/tsmcabu/stgfile/dir2/000002CF.BFS. (SESSION: 163)

DATE_TIME: 2010-10-06 11:32:11.000000
  MESSAGE: ANR1411W Access mode for volume
/tsmstg/cabdd01/tsmcabu/stgfile/dir2/000002CF.BFS now set to
"read-only" due to write error. (SESSION: 163)

DATE_TIME: 2010-10-06 11:32:12.000000
  MESSAGE: ANR0523W Transaction failed for session 163 for node
UPBCCLND02 (DB2/AIX64) - error on output storage device. (SESSION:
163)

So far, the Data Domain people say everything is fine, and I can't
find anything relevant in any logs.

#1) How would you guys debug this

#2) It seems to me that TSM should mount another volume if it gets a
write error.  Is there something I am missing to get it to do that?  I
hate dumping hours of backup that apparently DB2 uses 1 transaction
for.

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

--
Andy Carlson
Gamecube:$150,PSO:$50,Broadband Adapter: $35, Hunters License: