ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Need to understand TSM restoration concept.

2010-09-26 11:20:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Need to understand TSM restoration concept.
From: "Huebner,Andy,FORT WORTH,IT" <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 10:20:00 -0500
Another way to look at it is TSM keeps a copy of every file on the server at
the time of the backup.  TSM knows what day it saw each file on the server.
When you do a restore, either from the last backup or a point in time, TSM
restores only the files that were present during the point you are restoring
from. (there are retention limitations)
For me it is easier to explain knowing TSM never makes a full backup, TSM only
backs up the files it does not have.  The first backup it backs up all of the
files because it does not have them.

Andy Huebner