ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Determining devclass FILE values (a.k.a. New Server - Part Deux)

2010-09-22 12:10:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Determining devclass FILE values (a.k.a. New Server - Part Deux)
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:52:56 -0400
Very interesting discussions about FILE devclass and configuration
whoas......lots of guess-work and differing opinions.   Sounds like FILE
adds another level of administrations (reclaims?) and not sure if it will
really benefit me.

Now I am not sure if this is the right way to go.  Maybe I should just
stick with what I was doing - 200-300GB volumes using DISK devclass.

We don't plan to do de-dup (higher-up decision - they don't see the
value/savings vs overhead due to our mix of servers types/backup types).
The disk is an LZ for backups and then migration to tape when the stgpool
gets close to full. Very little as far as restores go.

Additional opinions?
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University