ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Using copy pool (device class FILE)

2010-09-16 02:09:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Using copy pool (device class FILE)
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:08:38 +0300
Hello Dwight,

Thank you very much for interesting information.

You advised to have file system at Head Office, which is mirrored to DRS by
PPRC.

Unfortunately, I do not have enough disk space at HO, but it is available at
DRS.

So only next option is available for me:

1)     mount file system on AIX server at Disaster Site, where disaster TSM
Server is activated in case of disaster;

2)     create NFS file system on TSM Server at Head Office (we have 1Gb
Ethernet connection between HO and DRS);

3)     create FILE device class for NFS file system at HO;

4)     create copy pool in NFS file system at HO;

5)     backup primary pools to remote copy pool daily at HO.

After Disaster Site activation and starting disaster TSM Server (mirrored by
PPRC from HO) file system for copy pool will be available as a local JFS2 file
system.

Unfortunately, I have some questions about this configuration:

1)     how about performance during writing to NFS file system? Maybe some
special configuration is required for NFS client/server?

2)     Will TSM Server use NFS file system at HO and JFS2 file system at DRS
without recreating device class?

Kindest regards,

Grigori G. Solonovitch

Senior Technical Architect

Information Technology  Ahli United Bank Kuwait http://www.ahliunited.com.kw

Phone: (+965) 2231-2274  Mobile: (+965) 99798073  E-Mail: Grigori.Solonovitch
AT ahliunited DOT com

Please consider the environment before printing this Email