ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Domain: Data Domain, and SQL-Backtrack with Sybase databases

2010-08-27 11:17:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Domain: Data Domain, and SQL-Backtrack with Sybase databases
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:15:53 -0400
We don't have DD or any other dedup box . . .but we think about them a lot.

This has been one or our ongoing discussions. Our big database servers that
use rman/tdpo/lanfree.
If we could get enought throughput with straight ethernet or 10g ethernet,
then we could ditch
tdpo/lanfree and use straight rman to disk over NFS to the dedup box.
The only value in tdpo/lanfree/vtl seems to be SAN speed.  I wonder what
the trade off is
between tdpo/lanfree licensing and 10g ethernet adapters and switch
ports . . . . hmmmm.

Rick

             "Hart, Charles A"
             <charles_hart@UHC
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Data Domain: Data Domain, and
                                       SQL-Backtrack with Sybase databases

             08/27/2010 09:32
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

I could be shot for saying the following, but using a NFS share would
provide the opportunity for you to remove the backup application and its
associates hardware from the data protection stack altogether for things
such as data bases which in some shops is 80% of the load.

We are avid TSM users and fans but if RMAN backups directly to NFS
mounts works well it appears there would be an opportunity reducing
complexity and costs.

Charles