ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Domain: Data Domain, and SQL-Backtrack with Sybase databases

2010-08-26 15:50:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Domain: Data Domain, and SQL-Backtrack with Sybase databases
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:48:08 -0400
We used to use SQLBacktrack with Falconstor.  Regardless of the specific
configuration, the problem is obviously compression/encryption doesn't mix
with deduplication.

You're best bet would be to speed up your backup with something other than
compression.  10gb NICs  or a lan-free configuration if you have fast
fibre.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
Leugemors.Nancy AT HEALTHNOW DOT ORG

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
08/26/2010 01:22 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Data Domain:   Data Domain, and SQL-Backtrack with Sybase
databases

Hello,

I'm looking for anyone who is using SQL-Backtrack for Sybase and Data
Domain/TSM?

We are replacing our Virtual Tape libraries and physical tape library with
Data Domains.  One here onsite and another at our DR location.   We have
setup the Data Domain to emulate VTL.

We are experiencing poor deduplication rates on our SQL-Backtrack Sybase
compressed databases only.   We see a 1:1:1 dedup ratio on Sybase data
backed up with Backtrack.

When the data is not compressed, we see dedup ratios anywhere from 5:1 to
150:1 on some tapes.   Obviously, as you add backup versions of the same
DB on DataDomain, each new version gets better dedup because a lot of
common blocks are already on the appliance.   But, of course then the
backup runs 2x as long which is not acceptable for our RPO.   Our
DB2-UDB,MS-SQL,and Domino TDP all are seeing much better dedup rates.

Background:

TSM Server Version: 5.5.4.0
TSM Client:  5.5.2.0
TSM Client Sybase Version: ASE 15.0.3
TSM Client SQL-Backtrack Version:  6.8
Data Domain:  Model:  880
Data Domain OS Version:  4.8.1.0

Nancy Leugemors
Enterprise Systems
HealthNow, NY
716-887-7979

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary,
confidential, trade secret or privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a
violation of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient, please
message.

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.