ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LAN-free backup in a logical partition

2010-08-19 17:33:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LAN-free backup in a logical partition
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:32:08 +0200
On 19 aug 2010, at 11:22, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

> Hi,
> A Linux/AIX logical partition on IBM POWER systems has only virtual SCSI
> adapters. Can this partition use TSM LAN-free backup in any way? (tape,
> GPFS, SANergy,...)

VIO servers can't route tape, so, you're stuck at GPFS or SANergry. You really
should consider adding a few HBAs to your LPAR if you need lan-free, you
apparently need big I/O performance, and VIO is then not the way to go....

> How about if the client uses NPIV? If yes, is NPIV virtualization completely
> transparent to TSM/SAN equipments?

NPIV is a SAN switching trick that has no impact on the traffic.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl