ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Access to Management Class for TSM Clients

2010-08-12 15:59:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Access to Management Class for TSM Clients
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:57:29 -0400
On Aug 12, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Remco Post wrote:

> On 12 aug 2010, at 21:46, Abid Ilias wrote:
>
>> We have some longer management classes defined in a policy domain for some
>> specific purpose, but our management does not want  TSM clients to see or
>> use them.   Our management wants the TSM admins to have this control and
>> bind the data to different management class as per requests.  I have not
>> seen any way to prevent users from doing this.  Is there a way to prevent
>> TSM clients from using a management class other than default.
>>

> use a different policy domain only for those clients that should have access
> is a step in the right direction. Other than that, I'm sorry, no.

Just a further note:
Management classes with a longer RETonly value may implicitly be used, without
explicit specification, in the backup of Windows directories, according to TSM
architectural norms.  The client DIRMc option may have to be used to keep the
directories in the same management class as the data - and prevent mysterious,
unexpected tape mounts during backup and restore because of the use of
differing storage pools.