ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Recovery log filling up

2010-08-12 04:15:12
Subject: [ADSM-L] Recovery log filling up
From: "Loon, EJ van - SPLXO" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:14:19 +0200
Hi TSM-ers!
This is my TSM shop:

3 TSM 5.5.4 servers, running on a AIX 5.3 cluster.
Server 1 is receiving about 3 Tb of backup data daily, contains 458
client nodes, DB size is 58 Gb, logsize is 12 Gb.
Server 2 is receiving about 3.5 Tb of backup data daily, contains 781
client nodes, DB size is 96 Gb, logsize is 12 Gb.
Server 3 is receiving about 2.5 Tb of backup data daily, contains 392
client nodes, DB size is 58 Gb, logsize is 12 Gb.
On all servers, the database a full database backup is scheduled in the
morning, an incremental is scheduled at 18:00, before the majority of
the clients start backing up.

The strange thing is that on all three servers I see the recovery log
filling up to more than 80 percent at least one time during the night.
The backup trigger is set to 75%, but I see ANR2997W multiple times.
Sometimes I even notice the following message:

ANR4556W Attention: the database backup operation did not free
sufficient recovery log space to lower utilization below the database
backup trigger. The recovery log size may need to be increased or the
database backup trigger parameters may need to be adjusted.

I have an admin schedule running every hour issuing a show logpinned,
but most of the time there are no logpinning client sessions. I even
encountered multiple situations where the log filled up completely,
forcing me to kill the dsmserv process and performing me a manual log
extension.
A 12 Gb logsize should be more then enough to survive one day, right? My
servers are not that big, I have seen other configurations on this list
much bigger.
Does anybody have an idea why my recovery logs are filling up?
Thank you very much for your help in advance!
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon
information, services and offers, please visit our web site:
e-mail, and delete this message.<br><br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV
(KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the
incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible for any delay in receipt.<br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij
N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The
Netherlands, with registered number  3014286