ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help

2010-08-10 20:36:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:35:45 -0400
At the end of my first paragraph below, I left off part of the explanation:

> ... after the file is
> deleted from the live file system, the next incremental backup operation
> will cause the latest backup version to expire (become inactive).

I meant to add:

Because VERDELETED and RETONLY are zero, all versions will no longer be
available for restore.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2010-08-10
18:56:33:

> From: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS
> To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
> Date: 2010-08-10 18:58
> Subject: Re: NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> I concur with "TSM User" on the policy settings: everything is being kept
> forever while the file exists on the live file system; after the file is
> deleted from the live file system, the next incremental backup operation
> will cause the latest backup version to expire (become inactive).
>
> Proper retention depends on the needs of the business. One very simple
> example might be to express retention needs in terms of restore
> requirements, e.g., we need to be able to restore any file form backups
> taken up to 30 days ago. In this case, you can configure TSM with
settings
> like this:

> *How many different versions of the file should be kept? NOLIMIT
> (corresponds to the VEREXISTS copygroup setting)
>
> * Number of days to keep inactive versions 30
> (corresponds to the RETEXTRA copygroup setting)
>
> For backup files that a user has deleted from the client node:
> * Number of file versions to keep NOLIMIT
> (corresponds to the VERDELETED copygroup setting)
>
> * Amount of time to keep the last file version 30
> ("last" refers to the latest backup copy made before the file was
deleted;
> corresponds to the RETONLY copygroup setting)
>
> TSM *always* keeps the latest ("active") backup version as long as the
file
> exists on the live file system, regardless of the RETEXTRA setting. When
> new backup copy of a file is made, the prior backup copy is made
"inactive"
> and becomes subject to VEREXISTS and RETEXTRA settings. Inactive versions
> are removed depending on which of the VEREXISTS or RETEXTRA criteria are
> reached first.
>
> For example, suppose VEREXITS is 5 and RETEXTRA is 30. You perform daily
> backups. If the file changes every day, it will be backed up every day.
On