ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] what is the proper syntax for the incluede/exclude in linux list

2010-08-06 15:24:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] what is the proper syntax for the incluede/exclude in linux list
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:22:50 -0400
On Aug 6, 2010, at 2:48 PM, yoda woya wrote:

> Actually... /tmp is included

Are you saying that on the basis of belief from reading, or from actual
experience? The Unix client has historically omitted the /tmp file system from
default processing backup, due to its nature. That is documented under the
DOMain option, where "all-local" is the default, and with that default, the
documentation says "The /tmp directory is not included."

If you perform a default backup and find that the /tmp file system is being
included, do 'dsmc query inclexcl' and see if /tmp is being included by some
client-side or server-side specification.  If not, you have basic to contact
TSM Support with that issue.

If /tmp is a not a file system, but a subdirectory of /, you can, if necessary,
use Exclude.Dir for it.  Normally, you would not want to back up the root file
system, as it usually contains system elements that are planted via kickstart
or the like, and would be reconstructed via that method in case of disk or
system failure.

> My question question is the syntax
>
> domain ALL-LOCAL - /x -/y   or
> domain ALL-LOCAL - /x /y   or
> domain ALL-LOCAL - /x, /y  ... etc

The manual specifies that each should have a minus sign abutted to the front of
it. In any case, there should be no need for you to perform an explicit
exclusion for /tmp as a file system.  If /tmp were a subdirectory and you
wanted to exclude it via a Domain spec, you would have to force it to be a
domain via the VIRTUALMountpoint option - which is more than you would want to
do.