ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Question about testing version 6 on Linux server

2010-08-05 15:26:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Question about testing version 6 on Linux server
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 07:25:12 +1200
----- "Robert Ouzen" <rouzen AT UNIV.HAIFA.AC DOT IL> wrote:

> Hi to all
>

> I need some advice about making a test to install TSM 6 on a Linux
> environment, here some questions:
>
> 1.       Did someone already did it and can share some advice (Which
> O.S ?)

Any of the supported Linux distributions should be fine - generally I'd
recommend Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5 but SLES also works fine (I've worked
with TSM 6.1 on SLES10).  Hardware drivers is another factor - check the
hardware is on the compatible list with the distro.

> 2.       My TSM server now is on Aix 5 with Tsm version 5.5.2.0 and
> what will be the best way to test it on version 6

Run up a new server with Linux and TSM 6.2.1, then run an export server with no
data, then an export node for the nodes you wish to test with, then...
configure the clients to talk to the new server and test it.  However, the big
question for a test environment is where are the storage pools?  You'll need
tape resource to test it all properly, and won't be wanting to use library
sharing with the 5.5 server as the library manager.  To set everything up, just
follow the TSM 6.2 Installation Guide - the 6.2 version is cleaner than the 6.1
version.  Try to avoid configuring the first TSM instance manually, aside from
it being tedious there's less checking to see if things are AOK - the wizards
actually produce a better result believe it or not.

> a.       To do an export / import server

That's the one.

> b.      I think I read that from version 6 you can do a migration of a
> previous database version (did can be done from different O.S Aix /
> Linux ?)

Can't do that between different OS - and if you stick with AIX you'd be needing
some long outage times to do the migration.