ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Incremental and Full VM backups - no TSM client installed

2010-08-05 10:37:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Incremental and Full VM backups - no TSM client installed
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:36:21 -0400
Ray thanks, I think you really answered it especially with the following lines.

If file level restore is something the application/data owner for a particular VM desires I'd strongly recommend using the TSM client inside that VM to perform backups as you would any other physical server. Recovering client files from a VCB backup is a pain.

We were ask to start doing Incremental/Full VM backups on a server that was backing up on a different TSM Server than the VCB Proxy Machine. Now normally we would just dissociate the node and it node to that TSM Server that the VCB proxy machine is on no problem. However this node (and two nodes others) is also on a different network tier. So unable to use the TSM client we get that tcpip communications failure between the client and server machine message" when we try to use the GUI wizard to continue configuring the TSM client and the following

C:\Program Files\tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc
Node Name: SIJ409
ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection failure

So when Recovering client files from a VCB without the TSM Client this tool would be used correct?

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/disk_mount_utility_5_5_driver_tools/JSp=iZGR0cGJkcCo= )

Tim