ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] FILE Device class over NFS

2010-08-04 09:33:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] FILE Device class over NFS
From: Dale Jolliff <Dale.Jolliff AT DATADOMAIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 06:31:21 -0700
I have to preface any statements I make here with the following disclosure:
I work for EMC, and worked for Data Domain before EMC acquired us.
This hopefully will not be construed as any sort of advertising.

I have been involved in a number of Data Domain/TSM implementations over the
last couple of years.  I don't know the exact number off the top of my head,
but there are a lot of folks out there using FILE device class via NFS.
I see a lot of advantages with FILE device class, especially with 5.5 and the
ability to do multiple mounts of a single volume for read access, but you do
have to weigh the potential issues of network problems and how NFS behaves.

We have recently had a customer open a PMR with IBM about TSM 5 to get an
official response from IBM.  Unfortunately, (in my opinion) the question to IBM
was not optimally stated - the question and response appeared to confuse TSM
DISK class storage pools with FILE device class - at least the distinction in
the answer wasn't clear to me.

I'd agree that TSM DB, LOG and DISK device class storage are not optimal on NFS
for version 5.  FILE device class over NFS works, and works well - in my
experience.

That said, I don't see any advantage for IBM to make any statement about NFS
support - the primary IBM offering that competes with Data Domain storage
doesn't offer an NFS option so far as I'm aware.  I'm not suggesting there is
an ulterior motive in the vague responses we have gotten, but that's just my
take.  Play to your strengths :)

I can't see IBM saying they don't support NFS for version 6 for DB or LOG
volumes for TSM 6 - DB2 specifically supports NFS as storage, and since the DB
behind TSM 6 is DB2 ...  It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Dale Jolliff - (Not speaking for anyone but myself.)