ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchange 2010 and Mailbox Restore

2010-07-20 15:00:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchange 2010 and Mailbox Restore
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:24:51 +0000
Thanks so much!

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Del Hoobler
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 4:57 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Wanda,

Answers embedded below.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 07/19/2010
04:15:36 PM:

>> From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
>> To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
>> Date: 07/19/2010 04:18 PM
>> Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange 2010 and Mailbox Restore
>> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>>
>> Hi Del,
>>
>> Thanks SO MUCH for responding.
>> That is the doc I am using (the -01 version of the book), and I
>> have to admit I'm struggling with it!  (There are now so many
>> combinations of Exchange 200x, VSS-software, and VSS-hardware that
>> I'm finding it very difficult to figure out which options apply to
>> which combination.)
>>
>> On this Exchange2010 server, there's just Exchange 2010, the TSM BA
>> client 6.2.1, the TDP 6.1.2, Microsoft Win2K8 64, and me.  No SVC,
>> Copy Services, or VSS hardware assist.
>>
>> 1)
>> On P. 87 of the book, under "use VSS as the default backup method"
>> option, it says "This parameter is unavailable if the Microsoft
>> Exchange VSS Integration Module is not installed."  That's the
>> "module" I'm asking about - is it Copy Services only?

The book is written generically for all versions of Exchange,
so whenever the writers try to generalize, some of the exceptions are
missed.
Since Exchange 2010 only supports VSS, TSM does not require
this additional module if you only want to perform backups
to the TSM Server. Otherwise you would be charged twice
(once for Copy Services and once for DP/Exchange).
It is only if you want to create and manage local (persistent)
snapshots that you need Copy Services.

>>  2)
>>  I figure we MUST be getting VSS backups - we can run fulls and
>> incrs from the GUI, and restore a DB.  So  if VSS is the only
>> option for 2010,  well... must be getting it.  However:

Correct. It only supports VSS. :-)
(Microsoft dropped legacy, aka "streaming", backups with Exchange 2010.)

>> I have exec.cfg set to location BOTH, and VSSPOLICY set to keep 3
>> versions local.  However, when we click restore, all the fulls and
>> incrs show up with "backup location : TSM server".  When we try to
>> run a restore, we have no place to select the VSS local copy (which
>> would be great for mailbox-level restores).

In order to store snapshots "locally", i.e. create persistent VSS
snapshots,
you need to install the TSM for Copy Services modules as described
(FYI... Copy Services was replaced last year by FlashCopy Manager,
which has an MMC front-end, configuration wizards, and more).

>> P. 8 in the book says:  "Backups can be stored on local shadow
>> volumes, Tivoli Storage Manager server storage, or both locations",
>> and nowhere in the VSS planning section does it say a hardware
>> provider is required.

You do not need a hardware provider to store snapshots locally.
You can simply use the in-box VSS Provider that Windows ships
in the shrink-wrap Windows box. A VSS hardware provider can
give you much better performance and help offload the tracking
of snapshots vs. the in-box VSS Provider.
As I mentioned above, in order to be able to create and storage local
snapshots,
you need to install TSM for Copy Services or FlashCopy Manager.

>> The glossary says " VSS Fast Restore: A function that uses a
>> Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) software provider to
>> restore VSS Backups (IBM Data Protection for Exchange database
>> files and log files) that reside on local shadow volumes.)
>>
>>  So, am I supposed to be able to keep BOTH local VSS and TSM
>> copies?  That's the problem I'm having now.

Right. You need to purchase and install FlashCopy Manager
in order to manage local (persistent) snapshots.