ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Retrieves during DB2 backups

2010-06-18 14:29:12
Subject: [ADSM-L] Retrieves during DB2 backups
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:26:51 -0400
We have about a dozen TSM client systems with DB2 running under
x86 Linux. These systems use the TSM API interface built into DB2
to back up the DB2 databases. We always use separate node names
for DB2 backups and ordinary file backups. About half of the DB2
servers are using the 5.5.1.0 level of the TSM API. Most of these
are more or less regularly retrieving archived files during DB2
backups. All of the retrieves come from the node names dedicated
to DB2 backups. We have two systems that have done retrieves every
day for the last thirty days, four that have done retrieves on
some but not all of the last 30 days, and one 5.5.1.0 client that
has not done a retrieve within the last 30 days. None of the DB2
servers with older API code have done retrieves during the past
30 days.

OS levels for the DB2 servers performing retrieves are a mixture
of 2.4.21-27 and 2.6.18-16. OS levels for the other DB2 servers
are a mixture of the same two levels. Our TSM server runs under
mainframe Linux. The problem was first noticed with the TSM
server code at 5.4.2.0 and has continued after a recent upgrade
to 5.5.4.0.

Is there a way to stop the retrieves?