ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Questions about vtl useage

2010-06-14 08:56:40
Subject: [ADSM-L] Questions about vtl useage
From: "Lee, Gary D." <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 08:54:43 -0400
Tsm server v5.5.4 running on suse sles9 under zvm 5.3.

We are in need of expanding our storage.  Currently have an ibm 8100.  The disk
is cheap enough, but the licensing for additional storage is outrageous.

We are thinking of switching to using a vtl for onsite storage and doing away
with our onsite tape.

Are any folks out there using vtl, and if so what kinds and what has been your
experience?

I currently have about 3 tB of onsite tape, looking to at least double that
when we pick up the exchange 2007 environment.

Thanks for any information.

Gary Lee
Senior System Programmer
Ball State University