ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] dsmserv UPGRADEDB

2010-06-03 11:36:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] dsmserv UPGRADEDB
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:11:20 -0400
-----Keith Arbogast wrote: -----

>You may have run into this APAR,
>http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC62990
>
>Look in tsm_upgrade. log.  It may indicate the upgradedb had
>completed then hung. This APAR is fixed in 5.5.5

IBM finally advised us to kill the 'dsmserv UPGRADEDB' some
four hours after it started. They then had us start 'dsmserv'
in the foreground without the 'UPGRADEDB' parameter. The
server terminated after displaying a message stating that the
TSM database had been written by a 5.4 server and needed to
be upgraded. They had us start the server in the foreground
with the 'UPGRADEDB' parameter. The upgrade finished in a
couple of minutes.

We currently suspect that the underlying problem was a Linux
kernel deadlock. We tried to upgrade our tape device drivers
while the TSM rpm installations were going on. A script
embedded in the 5.5.5.0 server rpm started 'dsmserv' to perform
the database upgrade. It appears that the server code tried to
open special files for tape drives before the command to unload
the kernel modules for tape drives had completed.