ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Tdp sql questions

2010-05-27 11:49:05
Subject: [ADSM-L] Tdp sql questions
From: "Lee, Gary D." <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:47:16 -0400
Tdp for sqlserver 5.5.3. tsm server 5.5.4.

Trying to set up a backup regime for our physical plant.  They have an app
which uses sqlserver dbs.

I am somewhat confused by the difference between a difffull and a log backup.

What I want is a complete full each night, and diffs every two hours in between.
Looking at diffs to save restore time and complexity.

Warning, I am not a dba by any stretch of the imagination.  How would I
accomplish this?

My inclination would be a difffull every two hours in between nightly fulls.
But then what about the ever growing transaction log?

Thanks for any clarification.

Gary Lee
Senior System Programmer
Ball State University