ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Any way to avoid full backup of data relocated on TSM client file system??

2010-05-26 11:22:05
Subject: [ADSM-L] Any way to avoid full backup of data relocated on TSM client file system??
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:20:34 -0400
We have an operations and security team that is constantly either moving
client data or changing a file spaces inheritable ACL's, which in turn
results in the next backup recognizing this as "changed" or "new" data
and backing it up again. This results in wasted storage and reduces the
retention history.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to prevent this from happening or
how they deal with these situations? For example; in the event of
permission changes can TSM just update the existing backup data with the
ACL changes and not re-backup the actual files/directories?

I am regularly dealing with this on several clustered file servers that
have about 10tb of data so when this happens the impact to storage is
pretty intense. Unfortunately, most of the time I do not know the
changes are taking place until the damage is done and then have to
extend the time to investigate the cause so I can explain the space
usage.

All comments welcome and appreciated...

~Rick Adamson

   Jackonville,FL