ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Restoring v5 database from DEVCLASS=SERVER

2010-05-25 15:16:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Restoring v5 database from DEVCLASS=SERVER
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 21:15:14 +0200
On 25 mei 2010, at 21:06, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

> Doing some experimenting and tweaking of DR plans and was wondering if
> this is doable.
>
> We want to setup an offsite TSM server just to house DB/devconfig/volhist
> backups.
>
> Each TSM server would point to it via DEVCLASS=SERVER and perform DB
> backups to that devclass.
>
> Are there any issues with performing DSMSERV restores from this kind of
> backup, as long as I have the volhist and devconfig files for the server I
> am restoring?

I know of no issues, this actually works as designed.

> Anyone doing something similar?

been there, done that, even got a t-shirt (but that's completely unrelated). I
have no bad experiences to share.

> Anyone have similar/better ways of doing this?

actually, apart from possible limitations in the network department, I think
this is one of the better solutions. Set up two servers as virtual volume
servers for DR, and use just 2 or 3 tapes daily rather than one or two per
server. Until IBM allows us to store multiple DB backups on a single volume,
this is one of the best ways to make db backups when you have more than just
two or three servers.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post