ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] time needed to upgrade to tsm 6.x?

2010-05-20 17:45:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] time needed to upgrade to tsm 6.x?
From: James Choate <jchoate AT CHOOSES1 DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:44:48 -0600
My answer would be, it depends.   Depends on how much preparation you do ahead
of time.  Depends on if you are staying on the same box or moving to a new box.
 Depends on the size of the box.  A couple different variables could change the
total time.

I just upgraded a 5.5 TSM server on AIX 5.3 running on an LPAR on a p670.  The
LPAR had 16 GB RAM and 4 CPUs and 1 GigE NIC.
I upgraded to TSM 6.2 --AIX 6.1 TL4 on a p6 520 with 4 CPU & 16 GB RAM  & 3
GigE NICs.

My TSM 5.5 database was 276 GB (allocated), 167GB (used).  The new AC & TIP
were installed on a separate RH Linux box.  My p6 520 was preconfigured and TSM
6.2 installed and ready to accept the TSM 5.5 data.

Everything was prepped the week before.  The TSM upgrade method was chosen was
the network method to a new server.  The total time to upgrade TSM 5.5 server
once it was halted, and once we could bring up the new TSM 6.2 server on the
new host was 8 hours.