ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Database corruption

2010-05-20 07:10:15
Subject: [ADSM-L] Database corruption
From: "Loon, EJ van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:08:06 +0200
Hi TSM-ers!
One of our servers have database corruptions. An audit of a copy of the
production database restored on our test environment revealed them.
Since we do not know the impact of these errors (can all client data be
restored, can I restore all primary volumes in case of a restore
stgpool?) I definitely like to fix these errors.
I ran a AUDITDB ARCHSTORAGE on this server, but that does not fix them,
only a full audit does (I have proven this on the test server).
The problem is that a full audit runs for 60 hours and I cannot afford a
60 hours downtime. Most of our Oracle and SAP clients haven't got enough
achivelog space to survive.
I tried several things to trick TSM like create a snapshot on
production, immediately followed by a full backup, then restore the
snapshot on the test server, perform the full audit on this copy and
than create a full backup on the fixed database. This way both fulls
have the same sequence number, so I was hoping I could then restore the
fixed copy on the production server and apply all incrementals made on
the production server. Bad luck, TSM apparently stores timestamp
information about previous full backups as part of the incremental
backups:

ANR4651E Restore of backup series 1733 operation restore is not in
sequence; backup is part of another log epoch.

Explanation:
During a DSMSERV RESTORE DB, a backup volume was mounted that is not in
the correct sequence. The current backup operation cannot be restored in
this series because it belongs to the same backup series from another
point in time.

Bummer... The only thing I can think of now is making a snapshot copy
and restore it on the test server, perform a full audit here and freeze
ALL housekeeping processes on the production server.
On the production server perform an EXPORT SERVER FILEDATA=ALL
FROMDATE=TODAY-1 FROMTIME=NOW every day at the same time.
As soon as the audit finishes on the test server, create a snapshot and
restore it on the production server and import all export volumes
created.

Am I missing anything or should this work?
Import as well as export are single processes, so performance can be an
issue here...

Thank you very much for your replies in advance!
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
information, services and offers, please visit our web site:
e-mail, and delete this message.<br><br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV
(KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the
incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible for any delay in receipt.<br>Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij
N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The
Netherlands, with registered number  3014286