ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Unicode on UNIX

2010-05-19 10:09:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Unicode on UNIX
From: Bjoern Rackoll <backup AT RRZ.UNI-HAMBURG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:08:39 +0200
I'd like to hear from anyone who was able make it work and survive
reboots.
LC_CTYPE=en_US LANG=en_US nohup /usr/bin/dsmc sched

in a startup script should do the trick. At least it does here. :-)

I'm wondering where do you place this line in SLES? In RHEL there is
/etc/rc.local which starts late in boot process after the network and
all other services are already up. In SLES the equivalent would be
/etc/init.d/boot.local. But in contrast to /etc/rc.local, boot.local
starts very early during boot (before network and stuff).

It is a separate script (e.g. /etc/init.d/tsm ), and then symlinked into the relevant runlevel directory (/etc/rc3.d or something like that).

AFAIK, there is no /etc/locales.gen and locale-gen in SLES or RHEL.
The two major Linuxes for with the TSM client is produced and
supported.
I've had these unicode problems only with Debian and Ubuntu, and for
both distributions /etc/locales.gen and locale-gen exist. SLES (at least
10.3) does already have all required locales. But if not, 'localedef'
will help. I don't know about RHEL, we don't use that distribution.

You are right in SLES and RHEL the en_US locale is in place (it would
be odd if it wasn't)

Well, that was my understanding too, but at least in Debian and Ubuntu there are only UTF8 locales in the default installation.

For SLES based systems, we use the following startup script (uses German
locales, so adjust these if they're not available on your system):

Well I'm used to use the init script provided by IBM for
SLES found here
<http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=linux+start+dsmcad&uid=swg21240599&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en>
and
RHEL found here <http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21358414>

Long ago I modified the SLES script to include the locale stuff as following:
< startproc $DSMCAD_BIN
LC_CTYPE=en_US LANG=en_US startproc $DSMCAD_BIN

which sets the related variables temporarily only for the DSMCAD invocation.

OK, that's where our setups differ. We don't use dsmcad, but rather 'dsmc sched'. dsmcad is only used on NetWare and Macintosh nodes, but with no unicode-related error messages. (Just be sure to run at least a 5.5 client on the NetWare nodes.)

Regards,

--
Björn Rackoll
Universität Hamburg