ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Unicode on UNIX

2010-05-18 10:42:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Unicode on UNIX
From: Bjoern Rackoll <backup AT RRZ.UNI-HAMBURG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:41:28 +0200
>>> For my users with Unicode files on UNIX clients, I recommend this be added
>>> to the startup scripts for the scheduler or CAD:
>>>
>>> LANG=en_US
>>>
>>> LC_ALL=en_US
>>>
>>> export LANG
>>>
>>> export LC_ALL
>
> My observations indicate that this will work as long as you issue
> these commands in your normal login shell and then run dsmcad.
> However, if these variable are set in a strartup script upon boot, it
> won't work. ANS4042E will continue to be logged in dsmerror.log. (In
> fact there is no need to set LC_ALL variable. It's enough to set the
> LC_CTYPE and LANG variables only.)
>
> I'd like to hear from anyone who was able make it work and survive reboots.

LC_CTYPE=en_US LANG=en_US nohup /usr/bin/dsmc sched

in a startup script should do the trick. At least it does here. :-)

>> I've written some documentation on this at
>> http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/serversysteme/unix-server/adsm-backup/benutzung-des-tsm-clients/faq.html
>>
>> This page is unfortunately only available in German, but the main points
>> are:
>>
>> - Try 'locale-gen en_US' as root. Check with 'locale -a' if the required
>> locale has been generated.
>>
>> - If that doesn't work, add 'en_US ISO-8859-1' to '/etc/locales.gen' and
>> proceed as above ('locale-gen en_US').
>>
>> After completing these tasks, don't forget to restart the TSM scheduler. :-)
>
> AFAIK, there is no /etc/locales.gen and locale-gen in SLES or RHEL.
> The two major Linuxes for with the TSM client is produced and
> supported.

I've had these unicode problems only with Debian and Ubuntu, and for
both distributions /etc/locales.gen and locale-gen exist. SLES (at least
10.3) does already have all required locales. But if not, 'localedef'
will help. I don't know about RHEL, we don't use that distribution.

For SLES based systems, we use the following startup script (uses German
locales, so adjust these if they're not available on your system):

====================

#!/bin/sh
#
#     Template SUSE system startup script for example service/daemon FOO
#     Copyright (C) 1995--2005  Kurt Garloff, SUSE / Novell Inc.
#
#     This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it
#     under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
published by
#     the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License,
or (at
#     your option) any later version.
#
#     This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
#     WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#     MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
#     Lesser General Public License for more details.
#
#     You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
#     License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
#     Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307,
#     USA.
#
# /etc/init.d/FOO
#   and its symbolic link
# /(usr/)sbin/rcFOO
#
# Template system startup script for some example service/daemon FOO
#
# LSB compatible service control script; see http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/
#
# Note: This template uses functions rc_XXX defined in /etc/rc.status on
# UnitedLinux/SUSE/Novell based Linux distributions. If you want to base
your
# script on this template and ensure that it works on non UL based LSB
# compliant Linux distributions, you either have to provide the rc.status
# functions from UL or change the script to work without them.
# See skeleton.compat for a template that works with other distros as well.
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          tsmsched
# Required-Start:    $syslog $remote_fs
# Should-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Should-Stop:
# Default-Start:     3 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 2 6
# Short-Description: TSM schedulder
#       IBM Tivolo Storage Manager
### END INIT INFO
#
# Any extensions to the keywords given above should be preceeded by
# X-VendorTag- (X-UnitedLinux- X-SuSE- for us) according to LSB.
#
# Notes on Required-Start/Should-Start:
# * There are two different issues that are solved by Required-Start
#    and Should-Start
# (a) Hard dependencies: This is used by the runlevel editor to determine
#     which services absolutely need to be started to make the start of
#     this service make sense. Example: nfsserver should have
#     Required-Start: $portmap
#     Also, required services are started before the dependent ones.
#     The runlevel editor will warn about such missing hard dependencies
#     and suggest enabling. During system startup, you may expect an error,
#     if the dependency is not fulfilled.
# (b) Specifying the init script ordering, not real (hard) dependencies.
#     This is needed by insserv to determine which service should be
#     started first (and at a later stage what services can be started
#     in parallel). The tag Should-Start: is used for this.
#     It tells, that if a service is available, it should be started
#     before. If not, never mind.
# * When specifying hard dependencies or ordering requirements, you can
#   use names of services (contents of their Provides: section)
#   or pseudo names starting with a $. The following ones are available
#   according to LSB (1.1):
#       $local_fs               all local file systems are mounted
#                               (most services should need this!)
#       $remote_fs              all remote file systems are mounted
#                               (note that /usr may be remote, so
#                                many services should Require this!)
#       $syslog                 system logging facility up
#       $network                low level networking (eth card, ...)
#       $named                  hostname resolution available
#       $netdaemons             all network daemons are running
#   The $netdaemons pseudo service has been removed in LSB 1.2.
#   For now, we still offer it for backward compatibility.
#   These are new (LSB 1.2):
#       $time                   the system time has been set correctly
#       $portmap                SunRPC portmapping service available
#   UnitedLinux extensions:
#       $ALL                    indicates that a script should be inserted
#                               at the end
# * The services specified in the stop tags
#   (Required-Stop/Should-Stop)
#   specify which services need to be still running when this service
#   is shut down. Often the entries there are just copies or a subset
#   from the respective start tag.
# * Should-Start/Stop are now part of LSB as of 2.0,
#   formerly SUSE/Unitedlinux used X-UnitedLinux-Should-Start/-Stop.
#   insserv does support both variants.
#   (%fillup_and_insserv macro in %post of many RPMs) to specify whether
#   a startup script should default to be enabled after installation.
#   It's not used by insserv.
#
# Note on runlevels:
# 0 - halt/poweroff                     6 - reboot
# 1 - single user                       2 - multiuser without network
exported
# 3 - multiuser w/ network (text mode)  5 - multiuser w/ network and X11
(xdm)
#
# Note on script names:
# http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/scrptnames.html
# A registry has been set up to manage the init script namespace.
# http://www.lanana.org/
# Please use the names already registered or register one or use a
# vendor prefix.

# Check for missing binaries (stale symlinks should not happen)
# Note: Special treatment of stop for LSB conformance
DSMC=/usr/bin/dsmc
test -x $DSMC || { echo "$DSMC not installed";
         if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then exit 0;
         else exit 5; fi; }

# Source LSB init functions
# providing start_daemon, killproc, pidofproc,
# log_success_msg, log_failure_msg and log_warning_msg.
# This is currently not used by UnitedLinux based distributions and
# not needed for init scripts for UnitedLinux only. If it is used,
# the functions from rc.status should not be sourced or used.
#. /lib/lsb/init-functions

# Shell functions sourced from /etc/rc.status:
#      rc_check         check and set local and overall rc status
#      rc_status        check and set local and overall rc status
#      rc_status -v     be verbose in local rc status and clear it
afterwards
#      rc_status -v -r  ditto and clear both the local and overall rc status
#      rc_status -s     display "skipped" and exit with status 3
#      rc_status -u     display "unused" and exit with status 3
#      rc_failed        set local and overall rc status to failed
#      rc_failed <num>  set local and overall rc status to <num>
#      rc_reset         clear both the local and overall rc status
#      rc_exit          exit appropriate to overall rc status
#      rc_active        checks whether a service is activated by symlinks
. /etc/rc.status

# Reset status of this service
rc_reset

# Return values acc. to LSB for all commands but status:
# 0       - success
# 1       - generic or unspecified error
# 2       - invalid or excess argument(s)
# 3       - unimplemented feature (e.g. "reload")
# 4       - user had insufficient privileges
# 5       - program is not installed
# 6       - program is not configured
# 7       - program is not running
# 8--199  - reserved (8--99 LSB, 100--149 distrib, 150--199 appl)
#
# Note that starting an already running service, stopping
# or restarting a not-running service as well as the restart
# with force-reload (in case signaling is not supported) are
# considered a success.

case "$1" in
     start)
         echo -n "Starting ADSM scheduler "
         # set locale for TSM
         if [ -d /usr/lib/locale/de_DE ]; then
                export LANG=de_DE
                export LC_CTYPE=de_DE
        else
                echo    " "
                echo    "locale de_DE needed by TSM not found"
                echo    "please generate locale with"
                echo -n "\$ localedef"
        fi
         ## Start daemon with startproc(8). If this fails
         ## the return value is set appropriately by startproc.
         /sbin/startproc $DSMC schedule >>/var/adm/ras/dsmsched.log \
                         2>>/var/adm/ras/dsmerror.log &

         # Remember status and be verbose
         rc_status -v
         ;;
     stop)
         echo -n "Shutting down ADSM scheduler "
         ## Stop daemon with killproc(8) and if this fails
         ## killproc sets the return value according to LSB.

         /sbin/killproc -TERM $DSMC

         # Remember status and be verbose
         rc_status -v
         ;;
     restart)
         ## Stop the service and regardless of whether it was
         ## running or not, start it again.
         $0 stop
         $0 start

         # Remember status and be quiet
         rc_status
         ;;
     reload)
         ## Like force-reload, but if daemon does not support
         ## signaling, do nothing (!)

         # If it supports signaling:
         echo -n "Reload service ADSM scheduler "
         /sbin/killproc -HUP $DSMC
         #touch /var/run/DSMC.pid
         rc_status -v

         ## Otherwise if it does not support reload:
         #rc_failed 3
         #rc_status -v
         ;;
     status)
         echo -n "Checking for service ADSM scheduler "
         ## Check status with checkproc(8), if process is running
         ## checkproc will return with exit status 0.

         # Return value is slightly different for the status command:
         # 0 - service up and running
         # 1 - service dead, but /var/run/  pid  file exists
         # 2 - service dead, but /var/lock/ lock file exists
         # 3 - service not running (unused)
         # 4 - service status unknown  :-(
         # 5--199 reserved (5--99 LSB, 100--149 distro, 150--199 appl.)

         # NOTE: checkproc returns LSB compliant status values.
         /sbin/checkproc $DSMC
         # NOTE: rc_status knows that we called this init script with
         # "status" option and adapts its messages accordingly.
         rc_status -v
         ;;
     *)
         echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|restart|reload}"
         exit 1
         ;;
esac
rc_exit